My candidacy for City Council Place 3 is based on my belief that I can make a difference by helping to manage resources and contribute to future plans that will ensure a bright future for Bedford. In 2008, after over a decade of serving as a volunteer with many organizations in the City of Bedford, I had an opportunity to serve in an official capacity, and I began my first term on the Bedford City Council. When my first three-year term ended, the citizens of Bedford re-elected me to a second term in May 2011; that same year, I was elected by my fellow Council members to serve as Mayor Pro-Tem.
Last year, I ran for mayor and in doing so I had to relinquish my council seat. While I did not prevail, I have the highest regard for Mayor Griffin and believe we will be able work well together on behalf of the city. While on the council, I sponsored a number of initiatives aimed at improving the vitality of our city. These include:
- Shop Bedford First.com
- Establishment of a Cultural District
- Energy Smart in Bedford – the first sponsored event being the Bedford Energy Fair, April 2012. This year’s event will be held April 20.
- The concept of a “Business Incubator Zone” to attract new business to Bedford
- Revitalization of malls and repurposing empty storefronts to attract non-traditional type businesses
- Promotion of Central Bedford Development
- Influenced Old West Café to open in Bedford – a big plus for residents and the city
These ideas were presented to the City Council and Mayor and, through discussion and consensus, a number of my recommendations are moving forward.
In addition to new initiatives, I have supported and continue to support works in-progress and developing projects that include the Bedford Library, Community Powered Revitalization, road maintenance, drainage issues and other infrastructure projects. These programs are positioning Bedford for future economic growth and prosperity.
If elected to the Bedford City Council, I will continue to foster personal relationships with the citizens of Bedford by meeting with residents to discuss their concerns. As a Councilperson, I made it a priority to be available to citizens at the Bedford Library the first Saturday of each month from 11a.m.to 1p.m. and if elected I will continue this practice. I will also devote my attention to other areas of paramount importance such as business development, business retention, code enforcement and infrastructure maintenance.
A major focus will be monitoring and managing fallout from the highway expansion. Everything possible will be done to retain businesses and maintain a strong tax base. Early on, I addressed the need for frequent communication on highway expansion events to keep the residents informed and enable businesses to adjust as necessary. I will continue to support and encourage North Tarrant Express, the HEB Chamber of Commerce, and the City of Bedford to send email updates and post closings in order to help facilitate travel through completion of the expansion projected for 2015.
My position on topics such as Bedford’s economic health, city and departmental management, and the future of our city has always focused on fiscal responsibility and accountability. If elected to the Council, these will continue to remain priorities.
As your councilman I will explore options that will enable Bedford to generate revenue to sustain and provide needed community services by:
- Exercising fiscal responsibility through accountability
- Increasing the sales tax base through business development and support of existing businesses
- Encouraging private investment initiatives that will generate tax revenue for Bedford
- Exploring cost containment opportunities and cooperative efforts with surrounding cities to achieve better efficiencies
- Encouraging creative thinking at all levels to enhance revenue and contain costs
My belief is that the City of Bedford is staffed by highly-qualified people. Through the City Manager, I will encourage department heads and employees to utilize their full potential and creativity in the performance of their jobs. I will continue to:
- Hold department heads accountable
- Encourage interdepartmental cooperation to improve efficiency and better serve the residents of Bedford
- Seek new ideas to implement cost-effective employee retention programs
- Support meaningful new initiatives to improve departmental operations
- Respect the professionalism of department heads and let them run their departments unencumbered by second guessing
The Future of Bedford:
Continual development in the mid–cities and surrounding areas make Bedford a highly desirable residential community and a prime location for conducting business. The on-going challenge will be to reposition Bedford so that these benefits are recognized.
The City of Bedford:
- Is centrally located midway between Dallas and Fort Worth with easy access to Rangers Ballpark, Fort Worth Stockyards, Cowboys Stadium, Gaylord Texan Hotel & Convention Center, Alliance Motor Speedway, Hurst Conference Center, D/FW Airport as well as many shopping and entertainment venues
- Offers quality Schools
- Has affordable housing
- Has a diverse and educated population and workforce
- Has a solid and continually improving infrastructure
- Is surrounded by universities that provide a potential source of talent and research and development that is attractive for business relocations as well as new business start-ups
- Is home to established and growing health-care related businesses that will attract similar businesses – two such businesses just built facilities in Bedford
- Offers potential to attract additional hospitality-related businesses — hotels/restaurants
As your Councilman I will continue to be an influencing factor in effecting positive change that will serve the City of Bedford well into the future. My strong desire is to see Bedford moving in a direction that will ensure its future as a vibrant city. This is my passion and purpose in running for Place 3 on the Bedford City Council, if elected, it will be my focus.
Thank you for allowing me to have serve the City of Bedford. I am asking for your vote so I may continue to serve you and the city for the next three years as your Place 3 Councilman. Please feel free to contact me with any questions, to volunteer or make a donation.